Saturday, August 30, 2014

Raglans Version 4 - the Final!

This is the last tee I created from Kwik Sew 2874.  This is my favorite : )

I cut the front and back much longer - tunic kind of length.  

Then it sat in the UFO (un-finished object) pile for several weeks!  As the deadline for the tee contest was approaching, I knew it needed finishing.  

It was just so plain.  That's when I thought about using a Tina Givens trick and pleat up one side.  I love it!  

Then on the bottom, I added a strip of mesh to tie it all together.  

It is sewn with the coverstitch.  Both pieces are right side up with the tee over the mesh by ½".  The sleeves are hemmed with the coverstitch as well.  I usually just serge the edges of mesh, but the coverstitch worked wonderfully!

Happy Creating everyone!

Friday, August 29, 2014

Raglans Version 3

Again, as in the last 2 posts, here is Kwik Sew 2874.  

This is some kind of 2 sided knit I picked up at Joann.  It was on sale and I liked the 2 different looks.  

The sleeves are one side and the body is the other.  I originally had the sleeves as the dots, but the body in stripes was not lovely : (

You can see how uber stretchy this knit is in this photo - my jeans fly, waistband, and pockets are all very visible!

This tee is mostly for fun!  I like ruffles and they worked well on this.  Not sure how much wear it will get.  That may be a good thing.  According to another blogger I follow, this fabric looked worn after just a few washings.

It will be good for early fall wear!

Happy Creating everyone!

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Raglans Version 2

Again using Kwik Sew 2874, here is the second version of the raglan tee.  

This is a muted olive green rayon lycra (yum!) with stretch lace overlaid on the front.  I purchased the lace originally for undergarments, but it was too difficult to work with, so this was a great option for using some of it up.

The lace overlay and green knit were held as one piece and sewn together.  They were hemmed together as well.  This photo shows the coverstitch on the wrong side.

The back.  It is a little longer than the front.  Hi-low, or so they say.

You can see the hi-low effect better in this photo.

Overall this is a great pattern for quick tees.  It does lend to a more casual look than regular set sleeves.  

Stay tuned for versions 3 & 4!

Happy Creating everyone!

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Raglans Version 1 - with Vest!

This is the first raglan I've made for the Pattern Review tee contest.  The pattern is Kwik Sew 2874.    The mesh knit is from Fabric Mart, lined on the front and back bodice with a cotton lycra from who knows where.  

It makes a great basic tee for the fall months. 

This is how I had to lay out the raglan - seams together.  I then took two pieces at a time to the machine and sewed before doing anything else!

How about a matching vest?!

I also drafted this vest from some mid weight linen from  Great linen!

It is lined in the front panel with the mesh.  I actually made the vest first and used the mesh so it wouldn't be so thick in the front.  

There is a wide panel down the front for visual interest.  

It took me several months of trying to decide how and where to put the buttons.  Such can be the case when you draft from scratch!

Here is a view of the inside.

And the back

In this photo, you can see that the tee follows my womanly curves.  It is cut smaller through the chest, then gradually gets wider to accommodate my pear shape.

And "in process" photo.  My daughter got shutter happy : )

This pattern is a very quick sew and it is quite comfortable to wear.

Happy Creating everyone!


Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Giving it a Try with Raglans

I am undertaking entering into my first Pattern Review contest!  I've seen several that I thought were neat, but somehow missed the deadline to enter...

The official rules

It’s time to pull out your go-to Tee shirt pattern. You know the one- it might be raglan sleeved, or maybe it’s a crew neck polo shirt. It could be a princess seamed Vogue pattern, or a self drafted, much altered, oldie but goodie. All you know is that it's the pattern you pull out whenever you need a perfect fitting t-shirt.

More rules say to make 4-6 shirts focusing on fit and construction.  Use one pattern and vary it every-which-way (my interpretation) except for making it a cardigan.  Also, it must be out of a knit.  Okie dokie then.

August is a great month to start sewing for fall and t-shirts are versatile wardrobe pieces to update last years pieces.  Who doesn't need more t-shirts?   I have been toying around with some design ideas I'd like to try based off my self-drafted tee pattern.

After the first shirt, I ditched this idea (more on that later) and switched to a raglan tee I've been wanting to try. 

 It is Kwik Sew 2874.

What fun it is to go through my stash with a new pattern idea!  I see the same old fabrics in a new light - with new vision.  I pulled out about 6 fabrics that were stuck in my mind's rut and they are being cut and transformed into something great!

This is a 2-sided knit I got at JoAnn.  I don't know how long it will hold up, but it's sure cute for now.  

This is a rayon-lycra knit from Fabric Mart.  The stretch lace is also from there.

This is the same as the above fabric, but with stretch mesh for sleeves and edging.  Also from Fabric Mart.

This is a dot mesh from Fabric Mart, underlined with some cotton lycra on the bodice.  The sleeves are just the mesh.

All turned out well!  I just kept working until I was happy with them.  All also were sewn from stash fabrics!  That's 9 yards worth of space freed up!  Well, relocated from stash to closet really : )

I will go in to more details in the next 4 blog posts.  Stay tuned!

Happy Creating everyone!