I somehow heard about idea of snow dyeing. Sounded interesting, except we haven’t seen significant, reliable snow in years here in Middle Tennessee. So when I recently figured out you can ice dye…well, that can happen as often as my ice-maker lets me
I had this lemon yellow fabric I’d dyed previously. It was a bit too lemon for me to use as clothing. So I figured this was a good project for the attempt with ice. I had 3 yards of fabric, which I tore in half, giving me 2 – 1&1/2 yard pieces to work with.
The first fabric I just scrunched up on a grate (borrowed from my papermaking supplies) propped up on plastic dixie cups in an old kitty litter pan (also from papermaking).
After scrunching the fabric, ice is put on top, then powdered dye. I chose turquoise, navy, chartreuse, and cerulean. Keeping it in the blue/yellows I figured I’d get some nice greens for the final piece. If I’d added reds or purples, I would have mud for sure.
Here is a photo about 12 hours in. Only 12 more to go! You can see that it is less than lovely at this point.
After 24 hours, remove the plastic, throw in the washer, and wash in a regular cycle.
It turned out quite nicely! The photograph flattened the colors somewhat and I tried to adjust…just know in real life there are many variations from yellow to green to blue.
Because of the physical properties of the ice, the dye takes on those characteristics as the ice slowly melts depositing the color onto the fabric in crystalline shapes.
Here you can see where the dye separated into it’s component colors. Probably the navy.
On to the other half of too lemon yellow fabric!
I had begun tying up the fabric with yogurt containers after seeing this blog post by Carol Eaton. I had to wait about a week for my mother to eat enough yogurt to tie up the whole 1&1/2 yards.
Again, I chose to stay in the blue range and used turquoise, chartreuse, navy, and cerulean.
The pattern is pretty nifty. I think my “flowers” are more defined since I used ice instead of snow. I also dyed this piece with the yogurt containers down.
Here you can see one flower center with the pattern where it was resting directly on the grate.
I think this has some tremendous potential for spring blouse fabric. And I’m already thinking about colors in the red & pink family for the next one.
Happy Creating everyone!