Spring has sprung – I can tell because when the weather gets nice, I get in the mood to dye things. Easter eggs? Not so much. But fabric? Absolutely.
I have been playing around with 1/2 yard cuts for size and I like them. I take one yard of fabric and cut it in half at the fold. This gives me a piece of fabric about 22″ x 36″. I like having 22″ because I can cut four 5″ squares across. Splitting the 1/2 yard the other way yields 18″ in width and only three 5″ squares across. And cotton shrinks…
Anyway, I have been playing around with soy wax batik. I was drawn to it because it supposedly disintegrated and washed down the drain in the wash cycle.
Well, almost. I have one of those new low water washers and it sorta washes out. One thing I learned was if I rinsed the fabrics pretty well in the sink before throwing in the washer, all was well. I won’t share how the first time I just threw the batched fabric into the washer and how much wax residue there was around the inside…I did tell my husband – after I cleaned it all out!
Above is a piece that started out white and then was dyed this red violet. After that was all dry, I went back to the soy wax batik and used a plastic dixie cup to do the smaller circles. Because the sides were slanted instead of straight (like a tin can), I kept getting drips. After this piece, the dixie cup went into the trash. I also took a tjanting tool and drew multiple circles around the white circles from the first batiking.
And here is the finished product. I dyed it cerulean blue this time. The formerly white circles are now light blue, and the small circles are the red violet. The rest of the cloth is a purpley color that doesn’t photograph accurately no matter what.
Here is one more example from my first batch.
The white dots were made with a thread spool dipped into the soy wax & stamped on the fabric. Dyed the first time with chartreuse, then washed & dried. Today I scribbled soy wax on it as you can see in the picture. I dyed it the second time with bright green, and here is the result.
It’s pretty neat looking, except that they dye didn’t get distributed evenly. But that’s OK with me. It will add interesting variations as I cut it for quilting.
I have more fabric hanging to dry on the back porch, and I have some more in the washer. I will continue to post my progress!